Newsletter No 35 – 19th June 2020

Dear Parents/Carers,

Hope everyone remains well and continues to cope with the situation we are all facing at this time, but also getting some time together. Strangely we are now starting to think about and plan for the end of term in about 4 weeks’ time. Below I outline some provisional ideas about getting more of our pupils back before we break up officially for the summer break on 16th July. These are just ideas at the moment but I will send another letter out on Monday with the exact details of how this will look so you can plan ahead. Any return would not begin until the week of 29th June.

School Re-opening  

As you will know the school has reopened for Year 6 pupils and the key worker and vulnerable pupils.  We are staggering arrival and departure times for all the groups who are coming to school and it is important that these times are adhered to as closely as possible. We are also staggering play times and lunchtimes. My thanks to the staff who have been wonderful in their commitment to the children, not only in their education but in their emotional well-being. Well done to all the parents who have been very supportive and kept us informed of any changes etc.

Next Steps

I have outlined above where we are at this current time with the phased re-opening of the school. When I last wrote to you, I was fairly pessimistic about the chances of getting our other year groups back before the summer break as with the current restrictions it is almost impossible to have any more than half the children back and even that would be incredibly challenging with staggered timetables etc. However on Monday the DFE (Department for Education) announced that schools can if they wish invite other year groups back this term, if they have the capacity and staffing and can keep to the current restrictions. Given this announcement I now think it is perfectly feasible to have other year groups back for at least a short period of time (perhaps one week) before the end of term. I am meeting with some of my senior teachers on Monday morning to work our exactly how this will work and a timetable for any return. Then I will send another letter home on Monday afternoon outlining the exact details of how this will look. Meanwhile I would ask you to think about whether you would be willing to send your child back to school this term. No one will be forced to send their child back to school and no parent will be fined for non-attendance.

This will not affect the Year 6 groups who are currently attending school or the key worker/vulnerable group as their timetable will continue as before.

Home Learning

Of course many of our children will remain at home during the current lockdown. We aim to regularly contact parents guiding you towards updated and revised home learning resources.

Parents and Children – Messages and tasks will be posted up on the Year Pages Message Boards via the main School Web-site. Please ensure that you both check these regularly.       www.stjosephsjun.waltham.sch.uk  >>  classes

Children – as well as reading the messages, always check j2homework, which is accessible after logging on to myUSO. We recommend that you always logon first via myUSO in order to access all resources including j2e and EducationCity.

Again everyone please remain safe and healthy and let’s help and look out for each other during these difficult few weeks. During the month of May I said it was good to pray to Our Lady every day to ask her to help us all during these sad and challenging times. I think this is something we can continue to do every day even though we are now in June. Take care everyone.

Yours sincerely,

J Alexander (Head teacher)

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.