Newsletter No.16 – 10th January 2019

Dear Parents/Carers,

Welcome back to a new term at St Joseph’s and I would like to begin by wishing all our families a Happy New Year and hope you all had an enjoyable and restful break. The beginning of the spring term always seems relatively quiet and more down beat after the busy end of term and the excitement of Christmas but we have another busy term ahead and as always the weekly newsletters will keep you up to date.

Interim RE Review

We had our interim RE Review on 6th December and I received the report at the end of term. It was overall a very positive report and highlighted the strong Catholic ethos and nature of the school which was seen through lessons, pupil’s work, the many wonderful displays around the school and the Friday assembly. Our visitor from the Diocese was particularly impressed by the Year 5 pupils who presented a very moving and thoughtful prayer service, the Year 6 pupils who used drama to explore RE themes and the RE Ambassadors who she met after lunch and were able to talk confidently about their school and what it does to develop their faith. Well done to all the staff who prepared for the visit and of course the pupils who were wonderful ambassadors for their school and indeed the community of St Joseph’s.

Masses and Assemblies

There will be a full list of Masses and Assemblies for this term at the end of this newsletter.

Uniform

Uniform will next be on sale on Wednesday 22nd January from 8:50-9:30am and then every two weeks through the term. Speaking of uniform please can you make sure your children are coming to school in the correct uniform this term, including ties. I noticed quite a lot of children towards the end of last term coming to school in different coloured coats, trainers rather than shoes and without wearing ties. We are a uniform school and want all the pupils to be proud to wear their uniform so let’s get back to everyone arriving smart and ready for the day. Also we again have accumulated a lot of lost and misplaced uniform from last term, so if your child is missing an item of uniform, please come into school to see if it is in the lost property.

Friends’ Association Meeting

The next meeting of the Friends’ Association will be next Thursday 16th January at 6:00pm. The meeting will review the recent Christmas Bazaar and other events held last term and will also be planning future events for this term and beyond. If you have ideas for some events we could organise, please come along on Thursday.Advent Box for BCCS

Before Christmas we collected £154 for the Brentwood Catholic Children’s Society. This includes all the coins brought in by pupils and parents, donations from parents and staff and a collection before the Year 4 Macbeth concert. Well done everyone.

After School Clubs/Activities

We are now taking bookings for the after school activities for the first part of the spring tem beginning next week (5 weeks). Please note that this term you need to go online to book a club for your child on the School Shop, we will not be sending out paper forms. Also remember you can book places on the Gymnastics Club and the various Dance Stables Clubs by going onto their respective web sites.

Leyton Orient Tickets

Hopefully many of you were able to get the free tickets for Leyton Orient’s home game tomorrow 11th January. I will be there with my football loving grandsons and let’s see if we can all inspire the mighty O’s to a badly needed win!

Leyton Orient Trust Workshops for Year 5

The Leyton Orient Community Trust has secured funding to provide free workshops to our Year 5 pupils this term on areas around healthy eating, sport, confidence etc. They will work with each class for half a term on Monday mornings. 

Non-Uniform Days

We held our first non-uniform day today for school funds and I have listed the other days at the end of this newsletter. The days before half term will be for school funds and after half term for CAFOD’s Lenten Appeal.

Staffing News

I am ending this newsletter on a personal note. I would like to let you all know that it is my intention to make this my last year at St Joseph’s Junior School and to retire at the end of this school year in July. I had intended to make this formal announcement around Easter but I am hearing rumours about me leaving so have decided to do it now so it is out in the open and we can get on with the important job of making sure this is the best year possible for the school. I am not going to say any more at this time other than it was of course an incredibly difficult decision after 27 years at the school. I made the decision over a year ago but wanted to do a final year as Head. At this time I am working with our Governing Body to ensure the future leadership of the school and we will of course keep you updated as we go through the term.

Yours sincerely,

J Alexander (Head teacher) 

Future Dates for your Diary

• Monday 13th January – “Geography Week” in school
  • Monday 13th January – After School Clubs/Activities begin this week
  • Monday 13th January – Leyton Orient Trust PSHE Workshops with Year 5 am
  • Thursday 16th January – Friends’ Association Meeting 6:00pm
  • Friday 17th January – Non-uniform day for school funds (£1)
  • Saturday 18th January – Year 6 Saturday Study Club begins 9:30am-12:00pm
  • Wednesday 22nd January – Meeting for Year 6 parents about Gilwell trip 7:00pm
  • Thursday 23rd January – Workshop for Year 5 pupils on “Bridge Building” am
  • Thursday 23rd January – Class 3H Assembly on “Journeys” 2:30pm
  • Friday 24th January – Non-uniform day for school funds (£1)
  • Saturday 25th January – School hosting Waltham Forest Music Festival pm
  • Thursday 30th January – Class 3K Assembly on “Community” 2:30pm
  • Friday 31st January – Non-uniform day for school funds (£1)
  • Saturday 1st February – School hosting First Communion Retreat today
  • Thursday 6th February – Class 4P Assembly on “Giving/Receiving” 2:30pm
  • Friday 7th February – Non-uniform day for school funds
  • Wednesday 12th February – Class 4RB Assembly on “Unity” 2:30pm
  • Friday 14th February – Non-uniform day for school funds
  • Friday 14th February – Valentine’s Disco/Film Afternoon in school 1:00-3:00pm
  • Monday 17th to Friday 21st February – Half term holiday
  • Wednesday 26th February – Ash Wednesday Service led by Class 6P 11:00am
  • Wednesday 26th February – “Qualiteach” Football Tournament for Year 5 boys
  • Friday 28th February – Non-uniform day for CAFOD’s Lenten Appeal (Red Day)
  • Monday 2nd March – “SportsforSchools” Day including visit from GB Volleyball player
  • Thursday 5th March – Class 6C Assembly on “Death and New Life” 2:30pm
  • Friday 6th March – Non-uniform day for CAFOD’s Lenten Appeal (Green Day)
  • Monday 9th March – Bikeability cycle training for Year 5 pupils this week
  • Thursday 12th March – Deanery Mass for Y6 pupils at St Joseph’s Church am
  • Friday 13th March – Non-uniform day for CAFOD’s Lenten Appeal (Blue Day)
  • Thursday 19th March – Mass for St Joseph’s Day in church led by Y4 11:00am
  • Thursday 19th March – Fun/Activity Afternoon to celebrate St Joseph’s Day
  • Friday 20th March – Non-uniform day for CAFOD’s Lenten Appeal (Yellow Day)
  • Monday 23rd March – Parental Consultation Meetings (1:00-3:00pm/4:00-6:00pm)
  • Wednesday 25th March – Year 6 trip to Harry Potter World
  • Wednesday 25th March – Bikeability cycle training for Year 3 and 4 pupils (2 days)
  • Friday 27th March – Non-uniform day for CAFOD’s Lenten Appeal (Black/White Day)
  • Monday 30th March – Lenten Reconciliation Service am
  • Tuesday 31st March – Year 5 Easter Production 11:00am
  • Wednesday 1st April – Year 5 Easter Production 7:00pm
  • Thursday 2nd April – Sponsored walk for CAFOD
  • Friday 3rd April – Last day of term including Lenten Service led by Year 3 am
This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.