Newsletter No 15b – 19th December 2019

Dear Parents/Carers,

This is the final newsletter of the term as we begin the Christmas break on Friday. The autumn term is long but again we can look back on a very successful and fulfilling few months. I would like to take this opportunity to say well done to all our pupils for an excellent term, a big thanks to you the parents for continuing to support the school and work with us to ensure the children continue to do very well, plus a huge well done to all the staff who continue to commit fully to the education and development of every child. 2020 is going to be a special year for the school as we begin to mark the 120th birthday of the foundation of St Joseph’s in May 1900.

Year 4 Shakespeare Production
Well done to our very talented Year 4 pupils who presented their version of “Macbeth” this week. We have been part of this project since 1998 and I can honestly say that this performance was one of the best I have seen in those 20 years. Watching how well they had learned and then were able to deliver very tricky lines from the original Shakespeare play, their singing and dancing and the way they worked as a team, I had to remind myself that these were Year 4 pupils on stage. Following on from the wonderful carol concerts led by the Year 3 pupils last week, I am truly proud of all my Year 3 and Year 4 pupils and know that the future of our school is in excellent hands. Also a huge thank you and well done to all the staff who have worked tirelessly over the last few weeks to help the children achieve such a high standard of performance and to make sure it was visually excellent as well.

“Christmas Jumper Day” for Save the Children
We raised £306 for Save the Children last Friday through the special Christmas Jumper non-uniform day and cake sale at lunchtime. This is more than we raised last year and again the standard of jumpers this year was incredible from both pupils and staff and it was very difficult to choose the winning class. I have already sent off a cheque to Save the Children in time for Christmas. Well done everyone.

Family Film Night
We held our Family Film Night last Friday and we raised just over £225 for the school. Again my thanks to everyone who helped out on the evening, especially to serve refreshments and then to tidy up afterwards.

Advent Box for BCCS
Lots of money has already come in for the BCCS Advent Box. Please continue to help and encourage your child to bring their coins in. The appeal will run until January when we return to school so they can still collect coins over Christmas.

Uniform
Uniform will next be on sale on Wednesday 8th January 2019from 8:50-9:30am and will be the first opportunity to buy uniform next term.

Masses and Assemblies
We held our end of term Whole School Mass today led by our Year 5 pupils. It was a fitting way to mark both the end of term and the season of Advent before we break up for the Christmas holidays.

Class of the Week/Term
Well done to our Year 4 classes who were both Class of the Week for their wonderful performances of Macbeth this week. Our Year 3 classes were both Class of the Term for an excellent first term in St Joseph’s.

Attendance/Punctuality
Well done to Class 4P who had the highest attendance this term with 98% and to Class 3K who had the highest punctuality this term also with 98%.

Christmas Food Bank
Ms Le and the School Council visited the Heat and Eat Food Bank in Walthamstow this week to deliver all the food and other items which you all very kindly donated last week and to see the work of the food bank for themselves.

Leyton Orient Tickets  
I am sending home a form to everyone so that you can order two free tickets for Leyton Orient’s home game on 11th January. Please note that you need to send the form to the club not the school and at least 7 days prior to the game. I will be there with my football loving grandsons on 11th and hopefully many of you can also take advantage of this opportunity to watch live professional sport.

End of Term
School will close for the Christmas Break on Friday 20th December at the earlier time of 2:00pm. There will be no After School Club on this day. School will re-open for the new term on Wednesday 8th January at the usual start time of 8:50am (Monday 6th and Tuesday 7th January are staff inset days). Thank you for your many gifts and good wishes and can I take this opportunity to wish all our families a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Peaceful New Year.

Yours sincerely,

J Alexander (Head teacher)

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.